Why it makes sense to make your own
Did you know that your underarm skin is one of the most sensitive areas in your body? And that most synthetic deodorants contain chemicals such as parabens and aluminium salt, which can be harmful or irritating to the skin? Even more disturbingly, there have been concerns that aluminium salts in deodorant could be linked to breast cancer!
If you are like me, you probably never thought that you could make your own all natural deodorant at home. Many of the body care products that we purchase seem to require special equipment or at least special ingredients to replicate. Fortunately for you and me, that is not the case! There are super simple recipes for making your own deodorant in less than 15 minutes using ingredients which are most likely already in your kitchen. So why not make your own deodorant with natural, healthy ingredients that are kind to your skin?
Does it really matter what’s in your deodorant?
You might still be thinking making your own deodorant is too much hassle, or wondering if it’s really going to make a difference. In order to understand why it’s so important to use high quality natural ingredients on your underarm skin, I’d like to share a few points before you begin:
- Underarm skin is sometimes broken or damaged from shaving, leaving it more vulnerable to irritation.
- All skin, including the underarms, can absorb chemicals which are used on it, so using natural ingredients is the best way to eliminate the chances of any unwanted toxins entering the body.
- Breast tissue extends right into the underarm region. If you have any concerns about aluminium salts in your deodorant, you’ll want to keep them away from your breast tissue.
DIY Coconut Deodorant
There are only three ingredients in this simple recipe: ¼ cup of baking soda and ¼ cup of corn starch and 6-8 teaspoons of coconut oil. The best thing about this recipe is its super easy and costs very little. You’ll be amazed how long the deodorant lasts, too!
My favorite ingredient in this deodorant is coconut oil. It’s no longer a secret that coconut oil is considered a super food and its many health benefits have been experimentally confirmed in human studies. It has so many uses from cooking to skin and hair care to soothing minor skin irritations. If you don’t already have coconut oil in your home (and you should!), it’s definitely worth buying some. Try to get the organic kind, it is available in most stores these days or you can order it online.
And here is the recipe:
- Mix ¼ cup of baking soda with 1/4 cup of corn-starch (or arrowroot powder)
- Add 6-8 teaspoons of solid, unrefined coconut oil one teaspoon at a time
- Mix everything together using a spoon or blender until the consistency resembles store bought deodorant sticks.
If you find it’s too thick, add more oil and, if you find it’s too thin, add more corn-starch or arrowroot powder in small amounts until you are happy with it.
The above recipe is so simple but, if you’re ever in a hurry, pure baking soda can be used in a pinch and provides a deodorizing effect, but I do recommend making the above recipe; it really is worth it!
I know I wouldn’t, and that’s why I love this luxurious coconut deodorant. Once you try it, I’m sure you won’t go back to store bought deodorants again!
Once you have made the deodorant you can either
- put it into a lidded container and apply using your fingers or
- you can use an old deodorant dispenser and carefully fill it with your coconut deodorant. I find using an old dispenser works well because I can apply it directly from there, but it’s your choice as to what you prefer.
The coconut oil in this deodorant can melt in hot climates, so don’t leave your deodorant in direct sunlight. To be sure it won’t melt, you may prefer to keep it in the fridge, and this has the added benefit of making it feel cool and refreshing when you use it.
Once you’ve made this deodorant once, you’ll wonder why you ever bought synthetic deodorant. It really is very easy and contains only natural, nontoxic ingredients which nourish the skin, leaving it smooth and odor free. I love the fact that using it gives me peace of mind about what goes on my skin, and I like how the coconut oil gives it a fresh, yet subtle, natural scent.
Now it’s your turn! I would love to hear how you liked making and using this new deodorant!
If you found this info helpful, I would really appreciate it if you commented below and shared it on facebook 🙂
To your eco beauty!
Did This Help You?
If so, I would greatly appreciate if you commented below and shared on Facebook